As I sit here on a cold rainy day, it’s hard to believe that Spring is really here, but thinking about the season’s fashion trends gives me hope that blue skies and sunny days truly are ahead. The stores are full of new Spring fashions, and while I’m not feeling all the new trends (Wide leg cropped pants? 70’s fashion? No thank you.) some of them will make a great addition to your closet. Check out the following Spring fashion trends and how you can incorporate them into your wardrobe.
1. Fringe: Fringe and tassels are everywhere this Spring. I am loving all the fringed sandals and wedges. They look great with everything. Fringed suede bags and fringed scarves are easy ways to add this trend to your wardrobe. Or, go all our and add a fringed sweater or kimono to your Spring closet!
2. Bare Shoulders: If you are a child of the 80s like me, then the bare shoulders trend will feel very familiar. Maybe too familiar? I swear some of the off the shoulders dresses are the very same ones I wore to high school dances. Luckily, there are several updated ways to bare your shoulders without going full-on 90210.
Look for dolman sleeve tops with shoulders cut-outs or peasant-style off the shoulders blouses. These styles can be worn super casual with shorts or dressed up with skinnies and heels.
3. Lightweight Denim: If you don’t already have a chambray shirtdress in your closet, now is the time to get one. This will be a workhorse in your wardrobe, going from the office to date night to casual weekend outings. You can find cheap ones at Target and Old Navy or higher end pieces at department stores. Other lightweight denim pieces like blousy tops look great with spring florals, bright colors, and even white jeans. If you are into rompers (I swore I never would be but then I tried one on) then a chambray romper is perfect for wearing spring to summer.
4. Lace-up Shoes: Lace-up shoes are all over the place right now. There are tons of pointed-toe lace-up flats, but also lace-up shooties, booties, and even full-calf lace-up gladiator sandals. Since we never know if trends like these are going to stay, I usually look for cheaper options. I have yet to try on a pair of lace-up flats and I am curious how comfortable they are but I’m really crushing on these pink lace-up flats from Target.
5. Orange: As a pale redhead, I’m not personally super excited for the orange trend, but I know it looks fabulous on lots of other girls, so if you can rock orange, then you are in luck this Spring. Orange is everywhere! If you don’t feel like you can pull off a larger orange piece, then try adding orange accessories. An orange belt would look fabulous with your new chambray shirtdress…just saying!
Jen is a Texas girl, who landed in the Midwest after 14 years on the East Coast. A girly girl at heart, she has come to embrace her inner Adam Sandler while raising her three crazy boys. Jen is an avid runner, weightlifter, and triathlete who parlayed her love of fitness into a career as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor. Her passion is in helping women look and feel their best, through both fitness and fashion. Jen recently launched a new venture as an independent personal stylist for cabi, a Los Angeles-based fashion house.