Celebration Crossing at The Indiana State Museum!
As we head into our 200th year of Statehood, is there any better place to celebrate the holidays than at the Indiana State Museum? My kids and I were lucky enough to check out the ISM Celebration Crossing extravaganza on its opening day last week! Here are our five can't miss features!
1. Trains, trains, trains - My one year old is absolutely crazy about trains and Celebration Crossing provided so much for him to see. The ride on the Santa Express on the third floor (across from Rad Science, natch) was definitely the highlight for my littlest guy. Bonus: Mama fit in the train, too! Choo choo!
2. Awesome arcade - My four year old is on the cusp of video game fandom, so he naturally went bananas for the Retro Arcade. There were countless games from Pac-Man to Golden Tee to Tekken all included in the $7 admission fee. That's right - no coins! Just one flat fee to play as many games, as many times as you want.
3. Santa's super spot - Kids can kick it (and mom can sit down and post a pic of two to Instagram!) in the Santa's Playground area. This giant room is filled with toys galore - Legos and Mega Blocks, large foam blocks, board games, art projects - you name it! It was the perfect place for us to wind down after lunch. Pro tip: there are TWO family bathrooms in Santa's Playground. A must for when you've gotta drag the whole stroller with you for a diaper change.
4. Decor dream - ok, ok... so maybe this is my favorite, rather than the kids, but can you blame me for being in awe of the way ISM has been decorated for Celebration Crossing? There are gorgeous trees and garlands around every corner to compliment the beautiful town and cityscapes decked out in all their holiday glory. It's truly a sight to behold!
5. The man himself - for Celebration Crossing's opening day, Santa arrived on the ISM front lawn in a helicopter! Talk about style. From there, he headed into the Museum to take his post in Santa's House. Here he's meeting the good boys and girls of Indianapolis to listen to their Christmas wishes and, of course, pose for a picture.
The other exhibits of the Museum are still open during this time and are not to be missed. Take a chance to share Indiana's history with your little ones and instill some Hoosier State pride. No doubt you'll all want to come back!
The Celebration Crossing exhibit is open through January 3rd.
Adult museum admission is $13; child admission is $8.50; members free.
Admission to the arcade is $7 plus general admission, $10 without museum admission and $7 for museum members.
Visit www.indianamuseum.org for more information!
Melanie is the mom of two boys and enjoys working as a Freelance Marketing Manager. She loves reading, hiking, exploring Indy and renovating her house with her husband Michael. Her favorite family hangouts include the Central Library, Holliday Park, and Bongo Boy Music School. She drinks iced tea by the gallon and makes constant Mad Men references. Follow her on Twitter @mel_allen.